"Excellence is a journey, where the weak lurk in shadows. Yet my blade burns stronger! One by one, I smother death! I reap their flames! Let them fear me. In the midst of war, I breathe fire."
Always highly respected and powerful, the Zhanhu were once the right hands of powerful rulers. As key representatives of the Wu Lin Emperors, the Zhanhu would consider their lives forfeit, subservient to the will of their leaders. They were duty-bound to execute the Emperors' decrees at any cost. All other considerations were secondary.
The Zhanhu of today are the true masters of artillery. Only a few can learn how to tame the fire, wield the deadly changdao and achieve the title of Zhanhu. One should fear these unpredictable warriors, as they have devised many ways to slice and burn their enemies to the ground.
As protectors of powerful rulers, the Zhanhu do not go unnoticed on the battlefield. Wearing silk garments with embroidered patterns, they do not need heavy armor to protect themselves. These skilled swordmasters prefer light cuirasses or lamellar armors that do not hinder their mobility.
Changdao - A single-bladed Chinese greatsword that requires great skill and patience to wield, but rewards prowess with devastating strikes.
- On the Chinese version of the game, the name of this Hero is written as "斩虎" (pinyin: zhǎn hǔ), which literary translates to "Slaying tiger" or "Cutting tiger." This name is a reference to "战虎" (pinyin: zhàn hǔ; lit. "war tiger").
- The Zhanhu are very likely based off of the Jinyiwei (锦衣卫; lit. "brocade-clad guard").
- The Jinyiwei were the imperial secret police (and later, a military body) that served the emperors of the Ming dynasty in China. As a secret police, they had the authority to overrule judicial proceedings in prosecutions with full control over the arrest, interrogation and punishment of an individual, including other nobles and imperial family members. They were also tasked with collecting military intelligence and partaking in battle planning.
- Their name comes from how these guards donned a distinctively patterned (typically golden-yellow) uniform and a tablet on their torso.
- The Jinyiwei were hand picked from the military or brought up as children, receiving special martial arts training on top of wielding swords made of a special type of steel.
- The hat the Zhanhu wears in their default outfit is called a Futou (襆頭), also known as the wushamao (烏紗帽). Normal citizens were not allowed to wear it unless attending a wedding or an event involving any noble or imperial family member.
- In modern China, the wushamao is commonly used as a metaphor for officials and government posts.
- The term for the Zhanhu's sword, Changdao (長刀; pinyin: chángdāo; lit. ''long sword'') was often used as a general term for two handed swords in China. In recent discussions, the term miaodao is sometimes used to describe similar swords.
- The name for the female Zhanhu, Fu Huo, is a reference to Fu Hao, or Lady Hao. She was one of the many wives of King Wu Ding of the Shang dynasty and also served as a military general and high priestess.
- Zhanhu is the first Hybrid Hero to not have their gender locked. Prior to them, all Hybrids had locked genders.
- Although in-game displays state that he has the Vanguard Renown Gain modifier, Zhanhu is a Hybrid and his actual modifier is properly the Hybrid one.
- The Zhanhu is the only hero in Year of the Harbinger that is not a heavy.
- Though the official website says the Zhanhu does not wear heavy armor as to not restrict mobility, realistically heavy armor does not have significant affect on the wearer's mobility.
- For the Subduing Counterblow line, the phrase means "use all your strength" when literally translated. While it can be used as an encouragement, in this context it is mocking the opponent by saying that more was expected, beckoning the opponent to strike harder (if they can).
- The Light Finisher line is a Chinese figure of speech. Literally translated, it means "my sword has no eyes." Figuratively, it means their sword does not discriminate, thus not showing any mercy.
- The Heavy Finisher line is a two-part statement. The first part is the figure of speech mentioned above for Light Finishers. The second is much more straightforward as Zhanhu simply exclaims for the opponent to die by their sword.
- The Fiery Tusk line literally translates to "central" or "middle." As a spoken line, it refers to a hit that is on the mark.
- Zhanhu is the first Hero to feature responsive dialogue.
- Chinese: "接受吧" (Jiēshòu ba) - English: "Take this!"
- Stinging Maneuver or Violent Maneuver (Light Dodge Attacks)
- Chinese: "你死定了!" (Nǐ sǐ dìng le) - English: "You're dead!"
- Torturing Maneuver or Brisk Maneuver (Heavy Dodge Attacks
- Chinese: "刀剑无眼" (Dāojiàn wú yǎn) - English: "I'll show you no mercy!"
- Light Finishers
- Chinese: "刀剑无眼, 受死吧" (Dāojiàn wú yǎn, Shòu sǐ ba) - English: "I'll show you no mercy, so die!"
- Heavy Finishers
- Chinese: "用尽全力吧" (Yòng jìn quánlì ba) - English: "Try harder!"
- Subduing Counterblow
- Chinese: "中" (Zhòng) - English: "Direct hit!"
- Fiery Tusk feat
- Chinese: "火攻" (Huǒ gōng) - English: "Fire attack!"
- Qilin Ruse feat
- Chinese: "凤凰烈焰" (Fènghuáng lièyàn) - English: "Phoenix Flame!"
- Scorching Deluge feat
- Chinese: "你想太多了" (Ni xiang tai duo le) - English: "You think too much!"
- Idle while in-lock
The Zhanhu are dodge attack experts who use their mobility to defeat any foe. Strong and agile, they wield a long, single-edged blade named changdao. As masters of artillery, they have devised various feats to burn the enemy and wreck havoc on the battlefield.
- Difficulty: Medium
- Dodge-Attack Specialist
- Powerful dodge attacks and zone attack that can be chained together
- Finishers are Unblockable
- Unique fiery Feats
|1||Fiery Tusk Throws a projectile dealing low damage. If the target was already burning, it explodes for additional damage.||Fast Recovery
Passive | Stamina regenerates faster.Unlocked at level 1
Passive | Gain Health & Stamina when you kill another hero
|2||Qilin Ruse Set a gunpowder trap that explodes and burns targets within its radius.||Thick Skin
Passive | Gain moderate Damage reduction. (Approx. 25% damage reduction)
Passive | Gain a temporary buff after a successful attack.
|3||Fiery Breath Passive | All your attacks and feats deal more damage against burning targets.||Long Bow
Fire a long bow for moderate damage. (85 dmg)
Gain Stamina on successful attacksUnlocked at level 9
|4||Scorching Deluge Launch an attack that scorches the ground and sets fires to enemies around you (if they're outside).||Regenerate
Passive | Regenerate your Health when out of combatUnlocked at level 19
|Last Laugh Passive | Drop a high Damage grenade when you die.|
- Renown - Renown is balanced across activities
- Revenge Mode - Boosts Damage and Health. All Attacks are Uninterruptible. Parry and Throws knock enemies down. Attacks are Auto-Parried on activation.
- Unblockable Finishers - Your Finishers are Unblockable.
- Opener Attack Recovery Cancel - Cancel your Opener and Maneuver (Dodge Attack) Recoveries with a Dodge, a Maneuver or Absolute Amplitude (Zone Attack).
- Absolute Amplitude Recovery Cancel - Cancel Absolute Amplitude Recovery with a Dodge or a Maneuver. Absolute Amplitude also acts as a Chain Opener and can be followed with a Light or Heavy Finisher.
- Torturing Maneuver Cancel - Feint Torturing Maneuver during its Start Up with B (XB1), ◯ (PS4) or E (PC).
- Opening Guardbreak - You can perform a Light Opener, Heavy Opener or Absolute Amplitude upon Guardbreaking an opponent. These are guaranteed.
- Undodgeable Amplitude - Absolute Amplitude can't be dodged.
- Sprint Attack Opener - Sprint Attack counts as an Opener, thus allowing for its recovery to be canceled with a Dodge, a Maneuver, a Finisher or Absolute Amplitude.
- Brisk Maneuver Properties - Violent Maneuver strikes from the opposite direction of the Dodge. Brisk Maneuver acts similar to Violent Maneuver (same speed and damage), but strikes from the same direction of the Dodge. While Brisk Maneuver will bounce if blocked like a Light Attack, it is able to execute enemies.
- Subduing Dodges - Dodges have Superior Block properties in the direction of the Dodge.
- Subduing Counterblow - If you successfully block an incoming attack with the Superior Block of Subduing Dodges, you can perform Subduing Counterblow with X (XB1), ⬜ (PS4) or MMB (PC). This move bashes the target while draining their stamina.
- Subduing Counterblow Opener - Subduing Counterblow acts as an Opener, therefore it can be followed with a Finisher. Its recovery can also be canceled with a Dodge, a Maneuver or Absolute Amplitude.
- Subduing Maneuvers - If you successfully block an incoming attack, you are able to perform a Maneuver, even if performed late in the dodge.
(From Guard Mode)
|Armor Styles||Weapon Styles|
|Knights||Warden - Conqueror - Peacekeeper - Lawbringer - Centurion - Gladiator - Black Prior|
|Samurai||Kensei - Shugoki - Orochi - Nobushi - Shinobi - Aramusha - Hitokiri|
|Vikings||Raider - Warlord - Berserker - Valkyrie - Highlander - Shaman - Jormungandr|
|Wu Lin||Tiandi - Jiang Jun - Nuxia - Shaolin - Zhanhu|