"We... have waited. For years, we have bled. Devoted our bodies to the great cause!
Now the earth stirs; a rumbling calls! Jormungandr, RISE!! Bring your wrath! Ragnarok comes!"
The Jormungandr rise for the Great Battle of Ragnarok.
Formed after the Cataclysm, the Jormungandr drew their numbers from those rejected by the Vikings. Skin deformities swept the north in the post-cataclysm. The victims bonded from their shared deformities, a snake-like scaling. They named themselves for the serpent Jormungandr that, according to Viking beliefs, fatally poisoned Thor.
They’ve grown into an insular dark sect that believes itself risen from the fall of Thor before Ragnarok. Their rite of passage is a deadly ritual that honors their painful origins. Their skin is burned with acid to harden it with serpent scales. Their limbs are crushed by a sacred hammer. Many die from the ritual. The survivors are branded with the War Hamarr to mark them as mighty Jormungandr warriors.
A Jormungandr is a terrifying sight. They fight to crush the weak before the coming of Ragnarok. They believe only the most worthy must remain for the Great Battle.
The Jormungandr are feral warriors who wear their devotion to the Great Serpent on their scarred bodies. Some even whisper they paint their body with the blood and ground bones of their victims, and use human bones and leather for clothing.
Together with the cloth tunic and pants that they wear, they wear fur pelt around their neck, with nets and fishhooks decor to remind themselves of the crashing waves and the Great Serpent. They run bare feet, while their arms are guarded with leather bracers over bandages.Their face are pierced with ornaments in dedication to their cult.
War Hammer - A blunt weapon that utilizes a large striking head in conjunction with a handle that can be used one handed or two handed. Expert use of this weapon needs strength, but also the ability to use its weight-head's momentum for devastating strikes and explosive knockback.
- Jörmungandr (Old Norse for "huge monster") is a mythic sea serpent that grew so large that it was able to surround the earth and grasp its own tail. As a result, it received the name of the Midgard Serpent or World Serpent. It is foretold that when it releases its tail, Ragnarök (the Norse equivalent to Judgement Day) will begin.
- According to the Prose Edda, Odin took Loki's three children by Angrboða — the wolf Fenrir, Hel, and Jörmungandr — and tossed Jörmungandr into the great ocean that encircles Midgard. This may be why there is the presence of the ocean in Jormungandr's reveal trailer, their backstories along with the presence of fishhooks and nets on their outfits.
- Hulda may be a reference to one of the King's Sagas, Hulda-Hrokkinskinna, with "Hulda" meaning "the hidden manuscript."
- Official Ubisoft sources call Jormungandr's weapon "a war hamarr." The term "hamarr" is Old Norse for "hammer," but also for stone or a steep cliff.
- The skin disorder that initially bonded the Jormungandr cult may be Ichthyosis, a disorder that causes dry, scaly skin.
- Following the trend of Year 3 Heroes, Jormungandr's Ornament is located on the shoulders instead of the head, making them the third Hero to have such after Black Prior and Hitokiri.
- Icelandic: "Heiðingi!" - English: "Infidel!"
- Jotunn Surge
- Icelandic: "Óverðugur!" - English: "Unworthy!"
- Jotunn Farewell & Jotunn Gift
- Icelandic: "Leggðu þig!" - English: "Take a nap!"
- Jotunn Surge on Exhausted Enemies
- Icelandic: "Engin miskunn!" - English: "No mercy!"
- Hamarr Slam
- Icelandic: "Valhöll!" - English: "Valhalla!"
- Heavy Finishers
- Icelandic: "Burt!" - English: "Away!"
- Jotunn Grudge
- Icelandic: "Við hamar Þórs!" - English: "By Thor's Hammer!"
- Zealot's Bolt
- Icelandic: "Ragnarök!" - English: "Ragnarok!"
- Twilight of the Gods
The Jormungandr are fearsome warriors who excel at whittling the opponent’s stamina. Wielding the mighty war hamarr, they cull the weak with their unbalancing attacks.
- Difficulty: Medium
- Disabler, Harasser
- Unrelenting Stamina Bully
- High Damage on opponents who are Exhausted
- Good at trading blows and initiating fights
- Possess enhanced Light Attacks, allowing chains to not be interruptible when blocked
Passive | Heal some health when you hit an enemy with any Jotunn moves.
Passive | Killing soldier grants you health and stamina.
Passive | Lose stamina at a lower rate.
Passive | Receive a temporal shield when you land Hamarr Slam on an enemy Hero.
Gain unlimited stamina for a short time
Passive | Parry to gain high damage reduction for a short time.
Throw a projectile that deals minor damage, knocks back and depletes all Stamina
Passive | Deal Damage on Blocked Attacks
|Hard to Kill
Passive | Losing Health increases your Damage reduction
|4||Twilight of the Gods
Launch a powerful attack that sunders the ground, dealing minor damage and knocking down all nearby enemies.
All enemies are marked for death and show up on radar.
Passive | Periodically, automatically revive upon death unless executed.
- Renown - Earn more Renown by assisting or saving Heroes, and defending objectives to unlock your feats in a match.
- Revenge Mode - Boosts Damage and Health. All Attacks are Uninterruptible. Parry and Throws knock enemies down. Attacks are Auto-Parried on activation.
- Enhanced Light Attacks - Chain Lights are enhanced, thus are not interrupted if blocked.
- Undodgeable Light Finishers - Light Finishers are also Undodgeable.
- Uninterruptible Moves - Serpent Smite and Heavy Openers have Uninterruptible.
- Unblockable Heavy Finishers - Heavy Finishers are also Unblockable.
- Knockback Moves - Side Heavy Finishers will knock back enemies away from the side the move came from. Jotunn Farewell and Jotunn Grudge also have knock back.
- Unbalancing Moves - Heavy Finishers, Jotunn Farewell, Jotunn Surge, Jotunn Grudge, and Jotunn Gift will unbalance enemies who are Exhausted.
- Hamarr Slam - Jormungandr can perform a Heavy near an Unbalanced enemy to perform Hamarr Slam, dealing 50 damage and fully refreshes both Jormungandr and the target's stamina. This move can be performed with Serpent Smite.
- Serpent Smite Cancel - Cancel Serpent Smite with B (XB1), ◯ (PS4) or E (PC) or feint with MMB (PC) or X (XB1) or ⬜ (PS4) to perform a guardbreak.
- Jotunn Gift Follow-ups - Upon successfully hitting an enemy with Jotunn Gift, Jormungandr can chain with a Zone Attack or a Chain Opener. Light Openers and Zone Attack are guaranteed.
- Jotunn Gift Throw - Jotunn Gift does not cancel the Guardbreak that was initiated on the Target, allowing Jormungandr to throw them. If Jormungandr does not take an action, the target will automatically counter-guardbreak.
- Chain Openers - Serpent Smite, Jotunn Surge, Zealot's Stride, Jotunn Grudge and Zone Attack function as Chain Openers.
(From Guard Mode)
|Armor Styles||Weapon Styles|
|Knights||Warden - Conqueror - Peacekeeper - Lawbringer - Centurion - Gladiator - Black Prior|
|Samurai||Kensei - Shugoki - Orochi - Nobushi - Shinobi - Aramusha - Hitokiri|
|Vikings||Raider - Warlord - Berserker - Valkyrie - Highlander - Shaman - Jormungandr|
|Wu Lin||Tiandi - Jiang Jun - Nuxia - Shaolin - Zhanhu|