Cross is the second-in-command of the Blackstone Legion, led by Apollyon. He first appears in the Knight's story campaign mission Warlords and Cowards, where he and a detachment of Blackstone troops have set out to punish a warlord named Hervis Daubeny for stealing and deserting the Legion. Cross chooses to call out Daubeny, and when he refuses to appear he attacks Daubeny's castle with his army. After breaching the castle, he challenges Daubeny to trial by combat. When Daubeny declines, calling such a duel "an execution", Cross presents Ademar as his second, prompting Daubeny to do the same with The Warden. When The Warden wins the duel, Cross knights and inducts them into the Blackstone Legion using Daubeny's sword, giving them that sword and throwing Daubeny The Warden's old sword in the process, before leaving with his troops.
Later, Cross leads the charge against the gates of Valkenheim and executes the survivors. When he's about to execute Ragnar however, Apollyon stops him and, impressed by Ragnar's strength, lets him go. Afterwards, Cross helped invade Svengård.
Apollyon describes Cross as a 'practical man of limited ambition but of endless talent'. Years in battle have given him enough experience that Daubeny considered a one-on-one duel against him as "an execution". Despite allying himself with a group that seeks to create a never-ending war between all three factions, Cross is an honorable individual that keeps his promises no matter how much he resents it.
- It is common practice for the leaders of the Blackstone Legion to choose demon names. Cross chose Asmodai, but he no longer uses it and prefers his given name.
- In Talmudic legends, Asmodai is the King of the Nine Hells and one of the seven princes of Hell.
- Holden's armor is a rather strange combination, with his helmet and chestpiece being the default (Dheneb) armor, and his arms being fully unique. His Poleaxe is simply the Linebeck set.
- He is one of the few characters in the campaign whose face is completely visible at some point.
- During arcade quests, Holden can appear either before or in the final chapter, sometimes accompanied by more enemies.