"Mala ultro adsunt. Misfortune comes uninvited. It hungers for blood, craving eternal darkness. The time to repent is over! I will take up arms again. Step out of the shadows and teach them true darkness!"
The Black Priors are heavy heroes who wield the large kite shield and an arming sword. These dark agents fight alongside the Knights but are free from the code of chivalry. Whatever victory’s cost, the Black Priors will pay the price. Once Apollyon’s faithful warriors, today they return from exile to fight with their leader, Vortiger, reinventing their legacy and bringing fresh chaos to the battlefield.
Comprised of leather, black steel, and cast iron. Chainmail lies beneath everything with leather above it. Plate armor covers their arms and legs. Together with all the belts they wear, the Black Prior also wear a Chainmail hood that has a steel crown on top. Under that hood, dark make up marks under their eyes.
Arming Sword & Kite Shield - The weapon of choice of the Black Prior is the arming sword. But their iconic kite shield is where the true foundation of their technique of battle lies.
- Leaks led to the belief that the class was called the Vortiger. Further confusion was had when the Black Prior's reveal cinematic came out on January 16, 2019, titled "New Hero: Vortiger." On January 17, and January 31st, it was clarified by the developers that the class is called "The Black Prior", and that Vortiger and Erzabet are the leaders of the Black Prior order, and are not playable characters.
- During one session, when asked by Luc Duchaine "can you shed some light on 'Black Prior versus Vortiger?", Roman responded with, "So, the hero, that you're gonna play, is called the Black Prior. That's the heavy hero. That's the unit... And then, we have Vortiger, who is the head of the Black Priors."
- Even with these clarifications, confusion continues to stir as official websites still use "Vortiger" over "Black Prior" when referencing this hero, one being Ubisoft's own page for the Black Prior, which is titled "The Vortiger Guide - For Honor Vortiger Hero." Meanwhile, items such as weekly quests, namely, "Vortiger's Task", state that you, the player, play as a Black Prior, who must carry out Vortiger's orders.
- The name Vortiger comes from Vortigern (also known as Vortiger, Vortigan and Vortigen), a legendary warlord of Britain during the 5th century who was believed to have unintentionally aided the Angles, Saxons and the Jutes in their conquest of the British Isles when he invited them to destroy the Picts. However, the certainty of his existence is debated to this day by scholars and historians.
- Priors are individuals who are the head of a house or a collection of houses under a religious order.
- The Black Prior is the first Hero to not have their ornament on the head of the Hero. It is instead placed on the Black Prior's shoulder plates. All Year 4 Heroes would proceed to have this same arrangement for their ornament.
- The Black Prior features a unique Zone Attack, one that does not deal any form of health damage. Instead, it functions like a Bash move, knocking back targets and draining their stamina.
- Gladiator is the first Hero to feature a Zone Attack that includes a Bash in it, although it also has Gladiator swing a second time for a health damaging attack.
- Although Ubisoft's For Honor's official website refers to Black Priors sword as a "Longsword," it is unmistakably an arming sword. It can even be argued to be a bastard sword, as a bastard sword is longer than an arming sword but shorter than a longsword. However, the Black Prior's sword is too short to be an actual Longsword.
- The Latin saying from the reveal cinematic, "Mala ultro adsunt", means the same as the line said following the saying in the cinematic: "Misfortune comes uninvited."
- This saying was the motto of German Emperor Sigmund of Luxembourg who ruled during the early 1400s.
- This motto is also the name of one of Black Prior's purchasable Executions.
- The spoken quote for the move Hawk's Charge, "Sindon cadit!" possibly refers to how even the best cloth decays overtime. In the sense of combat, even the best warriors can falter or lose their touch.
- One of the free roam emotes, "Stulti, Stolidi, Fatui..." is a set of words which means "fools" or "stupid (people)" while using synonymous but different Latin words.
- The battle emote "Veni" translates to "Come (at me)."
- The signature "Conditorium" is a word synonymous to "repository" or "tomb."
- The signature "Felix Culpa" translates to "happy fault" or "blessed fall."
- Latin: "Tenebris!"- English: "For Darkness!"
- Tenebris Rising
- Latin: "Ad profundis!" - English: "Into the abyss!"
- Bulwark Counter or Up to the Hilt Execution
- Latin: "Tace cor tuum!" - English: "Silence your heart!"
- Bulwark Slash
- Latin: "Sindon cadit!" - English: "Fine linen decays!"
- Hawk's Charge
The Black Priors are protectors of the battlefield. Masters of the sword and shield, their powerful defense is their offense. They can enter their special Bulwark Stance after blocking incoming attacks or after any strike, with their Bulwark Counter can negating any attack as long as it is timed correctly.
- Difficulty: Easy-Medium
- Defense Specialist
- Strong Support Abilities
- Bulwark Stance: Special Stance that blocks all incoming Attacks and can be used to cancel the recoveries of chain attacks and block stun
- Bulwark Slash: Powerful and wide sweeping attack that can be Feinted and Chained
- Bulwark Counter: Negates all opponents’ Attacks and Unblockables, proceeded with a wide sweep akin to Bulwark Slash. It does not work against Guard Breaks.
Grant a shield to your ally by inflicting some damage to yourself.Unlocked at level 1
Passive | You can still Sprint when Out of StaminaUnlocked at level 5
Passive | Rapidly revive fallen teammatesUnlocked at level 13
Passive | Slowly regain health while in Bulwark StanceUnlocked at level 1
Nearby enemies have less powerful attack and defense.Unlocked at level 7
Nearby allies deal more Damage, and soldiers fight faster.Unlocked at level 15
Remove all shields from target and temporarily prevent them from gaining any more shieldUnlocked at level 1
Passive | Deal Damage on Blocked AttacksUnlocked at level 9
|Tough as NailsPassive | Raises max Health when unlocked. Unlocked at level 17|
For a short time, generate shields for you and a nearby ally. Shields don't stack.Unlocked at level 1
Passive | Regenerate your Health when out of combatUnlocked at level 11
Improve the attacks of nearby allies for a short duration.Unlocked at level 19
- Renown - Earn more Renown in outnumbered fights, by controlling objectives, and by killing enemy soldiers to unlock your feats in a match.
- Revenge Mode - Boosts Damage and Health. All Attacks are Uninterruptible. Parry and Throws knock enemies down. Attacks are Auto-Parried on activation.
- Superior Block Attacks- Tenebris Thrust has Superior Block, becoming Unblockable if the Superior Block is successful. Light Attack Openers have Crushing Counterstrike properties (Superior Block, plus Unblockable and enhanced damage when successful).
- Undodgeable Heavy Finishers - Heavy Finishers can't be dodged.
- Chain Starter- Horizon Spin, Tenebris Thrust, and Bulwark Slash are chain starters. Tenebris Rising and Hawk's Charge are chain starters only if they hit an opponent.
- Light Chain to Tenebris Rising - Press Guardbreak after a Light Opener to chain into Tenebris Rising.
- Hawk's Charge - Press Guardbreak during the start up of a Heavy Opener to perform a shield bash in the form of Hawk's Charge.
- Bulwark Stance - In this stance, you gain new Attacks and Regular Block in all directions. You can move while in this Stance, but you can't Guardbreak nor Counter-Guardbreak. Unlike other forms of Charged moves or Mobile Full Block stances, Black Prior's movement is not slowed. Instead their walk speed is slightly faster.
- Fast Flow Recovery Cancel - Fast Flow into Bulwark Stance after using any normal chain attack by holding C or RS during their recovery.
- Fast Flow after Block - Hold (C, RS) while successfully blocking an incoming attack to Fast Flow into Bulwark Stance.
- Bulwark Slash Cancel - Bulwark Slash can be canceled during its startup by pressing B (XB1), E key (PC) or the circle (PS4).
- Bulwark Counter - Bulwark Counter is a defensive move that requires timing. If successful, it negates the opponent's Attack or Unblockable move when successful, leading to Black Prior to toss the target over behind. If multiple enemies attack Black Prior during the move, they too will be thrown over. Black Prior is completely immune to damage while throwing enemies.
- Bulwark Counter Sweep - After throwing all countered foes over their shield, Black Prior will automatically perform an Unblockable Sweep Attack around them with their sword to deal damage to all nearby Units, focusing on whoever they had countered.
- Bulwark Counter Exceptions - Although Bulwark Counter works with even bash attacks and pins, it will not work on normal Guardbreaks.
- Block Dodges - Forward, Left, and Right Dodges have Block properties in the direction of the Dodge.
(From Guard Mode)
|Armor Styles||Weapon Styles|
|Knights||Warden - Conqueror - Peacekeeper - Lawbringer - Centurion - Gladiator - Black Prior|
|Samurai||Kensei - Shugoki - Orochi - Nobushi - Shinobi - Aramusha - Hitokiri|
|Vikings||Raider - Warlord - Berserker - Valkyrie - Highlander - Shaman - Jormungandr|
|Wu Lin||Tiandi - Jiang Jun - Nuxia - Shaolin - Zhanhu|