"The vast forests of our lands are said to be filled with the spirits of beasts. Sometimes those beasts join us on the battlefield: Berserkers. Wild, free, and utterly without fear, they fight with twin axes but their true weapon is their passion. There is an ancient riddle: what is stronger than steel? Blood is our answer; blood and fury."
Chaotic and brutal dual-axe-wielding Vikings. That is the simplest way one can describe the Berserkers. Their savage love of combat strikes fear into the hearts of most, friend and foe alike. The Berserker fights relentlessly, capable of vanquishing foes before they can mount a decent defense. Unconcerned with their personal safety in putting up a proper defense, these vicious warriors focus instead on killing as many enemies as they can.
Historically, Berserkers have been described as warriors who would charge into battle without armor, instead wearing the pelts of whatever animals they believe themselves to be possessed by. Like their historical counterparts, the Berserkers wear little armor, only light leather shoulder pads and animals pelts with a mask over their eyes.
WeaponViking Hand Axe - The Viking have turned a common tool into a vicious, highly effective weapon. The hand axe combines speed of handling with the balance required for accurate throwing over short ranges. Their lethality is legendary when placed in the hands of the blood-crazed Berserkers, especially when they come as a set.
- Historical texts and Icelandic literature describe the berserkers as Viking champions who would charge into battle in a trance-like, almost animalistic, fury.
- At the time, it was believed that this uncontrolled fury was the result of them being possessed by the spirits of animals on the battlefield. In the present, some speculate that this trance was the result of them consuming a hallucinogenic mushroom while others believe it was self-induced hysteria brought about by concentration and sheer force of will.
- Despite popular belief, a berserker's act of going berserk was not due to any form of psychosis, rage or insanity. Many texts describe berserkers capable of holding proper conversations before and during battles.
- Icelandic literature describes several tribes that were classified as berserkers, each one with a totem animal they worshiped.
- One tribe in particular was called "the berserkir" because of the bear skins that they wore to mark their status. This is because berserkir translates roughly into "bear-shirt".
- Berserker's Signature, "Number One" is a homage to Stefán Karl Stefánsson, a voice actor and performer who had died from bile duct cancer on August 21, 2018. Stefán has been credited ambiguously to lines for the Viking faction in For Honor, some sources noting that he did the voiceover for the Viking faction in the initial 2016 trailer for the game.
- The Berserker's pose and the Signature's title references "We are Number One," a musical number from the Icelandic Children's TV Show, "Lazy Town." Stefán stared in singing this song as the show's central villain, with the song becoming an internet phenomenon a few years after the song had aired on the show. This was the highlight of Stefán's popularity.
- The credibility of this claim is further compounded by the subtitle of the signature: "In Memoriam - To our Number One villain."
- Some sources state that Stefán had played the role of the Berserker, be it in Multiplayer or as an enemy during the Story Campaign. Having this Signature on the Berserker may be a confirmation to this rumour.
- Icelandic: "Þú ert dauður!" – English: "You are dead!"
- Head Crusher
- Icelandic: "Náði þér!" – English: "Caught you!"
- Icelandic: "Drepa, drepa, drepa!" - English: "Kill, kill, kill!"
- Recognition Emote
- Icelandic: "Hér, muntu deyja!" - English: "Here, you shall die!"
- Male Berserker, Dismemberment Execution
- Icelandic: "Í dag, muntu deyja!" - English: "Today, you shall die!"
- Female Berserker, Dismemberment Execution
Berserkers are intimidating Viking engines of death. They combine close-combat harassing abilities and have infinite chain attacks that make their offense intimidating to face against. Their uninterruptible stance allows them to be relentless even in the face of multiple enemies.
- Difficulty: Hard
- Harasser fighting style
- Short-range fast attacks
- Zone attacks strike multiple times in a row and can be used mid-chain
- Infinite Uninterruptible Chain that can end with Unblockable attacks to harass opponents
- Deflect ability that leads into a guaranteed guardbreak
Available Perks for the Berserker can be viewed on the Perks page.
Passive | Gain Health & Stamina when you kill another hero
Trap that stuns enemies.
Trigger to gain movement speed for a short duration
Passive | The base healing of Executions are increased by 50%.
Medium damage trap that stops victims in their tracks.
Nearby enemies have lower defense and attacks while within range.
Throw an axe that deals medium damage.
Attacks inflict low Damage over time.
Raise speed, attack and defense stats for a short duration.
Significantly raise your speed, attack and defense.
Throw a projectile creating a fire area of effect.
Enemies around you have lower Stamina regeneration and defenses
- Renown: Assassin - Earn more Renown in 1vX fights, by killing enemy Heroes, and getting killing streaks to unlock your feats in a match.
- Revenge Mode - Boosts Damage and Health. All Attacks are Uninterruptable. Parry and Throws knock enemies down. Attacks are Auto-Parried on activation.
- Defense: Reflex - Your Guard Stance only remains active for a limited time, lasting for one second.
- Deflect - Dodge in the direction of an incoming Attack just before impact to Deflect it. Deflects grant a Hero access to unique tools.
- Brute Force - After a Deflect, Berserker can perform Brute Force, a Guardbreak that is guaranteed, ignoring most Guardbreak invulnerabilities.
- Bear Mauler Finisher - Bear Mauler Finishers are Unblockable.
- Dance into Mauler - The Dance of the Paired Blades Infinite chain can flow directly into the Bear Mauler chain.
- Top Heavy Finisher - A Top Heavy Attack cannot be chained further, even as an Opener. If it's not a Chain Opener, it will be Unblockable but has decreased damage.
- Unstoppable Feint - Basic Chain Openers initiated immediately after a Feint are Uninterruptible. Lights after a Feint are also slightly faster and cost less Stamina.
- Unstoppable Dodge Attacks - Head Slicer and Spin Chop are Enhanced, thus are not interrupted if blocked. Does not apply when blocked by a Superior Block.
- Unstoppable Onslaught - Attacks after a Chain Opener all have Uninterruptible Stance.
- Alternating Infinite - During Dance of the Paired Blades, Attacks need to alternate between Light and Heavy to continue.
- Light Chain Starters - Head Slicer, Spin Chop and Skilled Slash can act as Chain Starters, but have to be followed by a Heavy Attack.
- Heavy Chain Starters - Zone Attacks and Slashing Rush can act as Chain Starters, but have to be followed by a Light Attack.
- Close Combat - If you miss any Basic Attack or a Head Crusher, the missed attack's recovery can be cancelled by a Zone Attack, Slashing Rush or a Dodge.
- Head Crusher Sprint - If a target is outside normal leap range when attempting Head Crusher, Berserker will sprint before initiating the leap. While sprinting, it is possible to feint the move to stop performing Head Crusher; once the leap itself starts, the move cannot be feinted.
- Cancel Heavy Openers - You can cancel the startup of a Heavy Opener with a dodge.
- Undodgeable Spin Chop - Spin Chop is undodgeable.
(From Guard Mode)
|Armor Styles||Weapon Styles|
|Knights||Warden - Conqueror - Peacekeeper - Lawbringer -Centurion|
Gladiator - Black Prior - Warmonger - Gryphon
|Samurai||Kensei - Shugoki - Orochi - Nobushi|
Shinobi - Aramusha - Hitokiri - Kyoshin
|Vikings||Raider - Warlord - Berserker - Valkyrie|
Highlander - Shaman - Jormungandr
|Wu Lin||Tiandi - Jiang Jun - Nuxia - Shaolin - Zhanhu|
|The Outlanders||Pirate - ??? - ???|